How to make minor changes

Erwin Lansing erwin at FreeBSD.org
Tue Oct 31 18:19:07 UTC 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 12:04:34PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> I have two ports that were recently accepted into the tree.  *After* they
> were accepted, someone involved with the project asked me to make the
> following changes to the Makefiles:
>
> I noticed that both sguil-server and sguil-sensor have this in the Makefile:
>
> $ grep -i squil *
> Makefile:COMMENT=       Squil is a network security management program
>
> Could you change that to
>
> Makefile:COMMENT=       Sguil is a network security monitoring program
>
> If I submit PRs for this, do I have to set PORTREVISION to 1?  Or does it
> matter for such a minor change?

Hi Paul,

Please send all changes as a PR with a unified diff.  That might seem a
bit overkill for such a minor change, but it's the easiest way for
committers to keep track of any request.

Bumping PORTREVISION will force all users that already have this port
installed to upgrade.  So the general rule is, does this change affect
them? Rewording the COMMENT is not enough reason for all users to
upgrade, so it's better to leave it alone.

Cheers,
-erwin

--
Erwin Lansing                                     http://droso.org
Security is like an onion.          (o_ _o)
And it makes you cry.            <____) (____>    erwin at aauug.dk