port_history - track port commit message comments

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 27 21:04:08 UTC 2006

On 10/28/06, Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu <itetcu at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 16:26:54 +0400
> "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
> > On 10/27/06, Christopher Boumenot <boumenot at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Every time I upgrade a port I am usually left wondering what
> > > changed.
> >
> > Some other projects maintain special package-specific
> > ChangeLog files. Maybe VCS logs is not the best place
> > for documentation, because it's not as easily accessible
> > as a flat file would be.
> >
> > Moreover, I think porters don't document the hacks they
> > have to employ - just because there's nowhere to do that.
>
> You all might want to take a look at what I do in
> mail/dspam[-devel]/[Makefile|files/UPDATING]

Yes, the idea is very bright. There's no rush however, so
let's look at how other people deal with it, among ports
committers and outside, before we set any standards in
stone.

[Wow, man, dspam ports is sure a place to learn many
things :-) Great job!]

Thanks!