(Useful?) Perl Port Scripts

Christopher Boumenot boumenot at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 04:25:37 UTC 2006

I have written a few scripts that I use when I am doing janitor work on
the Perl port scripts, and I figured I should share them.  I hope
someone else will find them useful.

perl-port-gen: A glorified shell script to help with the updating and
creation of Perl ports.  It executes the steps outlined in the Handbook
for creating a new port.  It creates a temporary directory, calls mtree,
builds the port's dependencies, installs the port, and generates a plist.

perl-port-man: Enumerate all of the man pages for the Perl port, and
indicated in the Makefile for the port.  If there are man pages for the
port not listed in the Makefile print them out.  This is also useful for
creating the list of man pages, especially if it is rather long.

perl-port-rev: Enumerate all of the Perl ports, and compare the current
version with the version on CPAN.  I use this when mostly for doing Perl
port janitor work.  It isn't 100% (+90%) accurate because not all CPAN
libraries following the version number convention, or I just parsed the
version wrong.

perl-plist: Basically a sed script written in Perl to help generate a
port's plist.  This script is called by perl-port-gen.

All of the scripts can be found at http://boumenot.googlepages.com.

Thanks,
Christopher