distfile questions

Edward Sanford Sutton, III mirror176 at cox.net
Wed Oct 25 19:43:59 UTC 2006

  On a couple ports I am working on, availability is only in the form of
cvs/svn. I made a temporary prefetch section for my own convenience which
calls up a particular revision off the server, compresses an archive of it,
and places it in the distfiles directory (thus leaving fetch happy as long as
checksums match). Is there a preferred way to handle these cases other than
my temporary code or putting it on my ISP's provided webspace which may cap
out due to too much monthly upload (and the filetypes may not even be allowed
anyways)?
  Another strange occurence I ran into was expanding the functionality of a
port through available addons while I was updating it. It is in the current
state of a combination of  tar.bz2, cvs (which I turn into a tar.bz2 on my
side), and a .zip but the port got a bit complicated in trying to get it to
download the .zip but not touch it further (and then I manually tell it to
extract it to the correct place, it is just additional data files). Otherwise
I have to pick between tar.bz2 files working or the zip file working since
the code to extract one fails to process the other correctly.
Thanks for any feedback,
Ed Sutton