gnome update

Jeremy Messenger mezz7 at cox.net
Mon Oct 23 17:52:51 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 12:17:48 -0500, Andrew Pantyukhin
<infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 10/23/06, Ganbold <ganbold at micom.mng.net> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to update gnome to 2.16 using portmaster for more than 3
>> days :(
>
> portmaster is good, but you really should use portupgrade
> if you're stumbling over and over again.

portmaster works fine, I have tested it more than three times for GNOME
2.14 -> 2.16. If one of port is broke then it won't work. The result will
be same with portupgrade.

>> 1. Every time after some error when I try to run portmaster -r
>> pkg-config\*
>> it starts from the beginning. Maybe there is some option to skip updated
>> ports. How to tell portmaster to skip updated ports?

Maybe the -i is what you want? Also, check in portmaster manpage for the
+IGNOREME part in the FILES section if it's what you want. I do realized
that you have to do +IGNOREME before you start the portmaster. As for the
-i, I think it will asking you want to do with ports at the each update.

> No. Neither portmaster, nor portupgrade has this option, or
> any session management for that matter.
>
>> 2. After upgrading some port it asks whether to delete the source file
>> or not. I don't want to press button everytime.
>> Is it possible to have option something like '[y][n][Allyes][allnO]'?
>
> -D switch disables distfile-cleaning functionality

Here's mine for portmaster.rc:

# cat /etc/portmaster.rc
DONT_SCRUB_DISTFILES=yes
NO_RECURSIVE_CONFIG=yes
NO_BACKUP=yes

BTW: Do not add NO_BACKUP=yes if you aren't skill at fix stuff. :-)

>> 3. While portmaster running, I manually updated libtheora port. When
>> portmaster reaches libtheora, it stops with error.
>> Is it possible for portmaster to give user some choices in this case
>> like "[Skip]..."?
>
> IIRC, it's on Doug's todo list.

Give some choices sounds like a good idea. I would disagree if someone
want to have skip it by default.

Cheers,
Mezz

FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)
http://wiki.freebsd.org/multimedia  -  multimedia at FreeBSD.org