X11 installl dependencies not complete, doesn't result in running X11

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 23 06:28:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

the x11 dependencies, when installing an x11 based software,
are incomplete.

If you have no ports installed yet and install an X11 based
software like a windowmanager, then I would expect, that
our ports collection installs at least a minimum working X11 installation.

But it does not. It installs xorg libraries but no xorg server and no
needed fonts to run the X11 server.

After installing the xorg server manually, and running
Xorg -configure and then try to run it, then you will see
that it still crashes because of missing standard fonts.

For example the fixed fonts were missing.

Would it please be possible to fix the xorg ports dependencies,
so that xorg gets installed useable if one chooses to install
an x11 based software ?

Normally our ports collection works this way to resolve
build-, install-, run-dependencies completely. But in the
X11 case I see since a long time (years) that it fails
miserably in this.

Is there a certain intention behind it ? Don't tell, because
there are 2 X11 servers in the ports collection. Since then
it would be another mistake that the xorg-libraries gets
installed the way it works now ...

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 6