Please do not use spamcop to block email

Joe Holden joe at joeholden.co.uk
Sat Oct 21 00:13:37 UTC 2006

Bo Briggs wrote:
> I received this, and
>
> Reason: Service unavailable; Client host [205.152.59.64] blocked using bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?205.152.59.64
>
> this is the bellsouth.net mail server.
>
> I respect the rdnsbl's, but please use spamcop as a filter, use cbl.abuseat.org if you want accurate results. Anyone can place an IP on a blacklist with a couple of reports to spamcop, and as I remember, it takes 24 hours before the block is in place.
>
> I've run a few mail servers before, and I do use the rdnsbl's, but spamcop is only used as a filter.
>
> Please reconsider using this as an absolute block.

Valid points, however you should be asking your isp why they're on there
in the first place.  I know its not as simple as that as I run several
mail clusters myself, but its not the responsibility of mailing lists to
ensure mail isn't blocked from what is listed in the rbl's. Alternative
is to use your own mailserver, and not a widely abused isp mailserver.

Ta,