Gnome 2.16 upgrade failed (yeah, I read /usr/src/UPDATING)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 18 03:27:32 UTC 2006

> From: Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>
> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:51:30 -0400
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
>
> Rainer Alves writes:
>
> >  * mplayer:
> >  [rainer at bsd /usr/ports/multimedia/mplayer]$ make showconfig | grep -i skin
> >        SKINS=on "Force dependency on mplayer-skins"
> >  In my case, mplayer decided to install the dependecy
> >  mplayer-skins during its install phase, the mplayer-skins'
> >  distfiles were corrupted and it failed to install
> >  multimedia/mplayer. I was able to fix this with a rm -f
> >  /usr/ports/distfiles/mplayer/* (which removes the skins
> >  distfiles).
>
> 	mplayer also depends of win32-codecs, which is currently
> FORBIDDEN due to security issues.  win32-codecs ahs no maintainer.

If the latest win32-codecs is installed with default options, the
vulnerability should be removed. Of course, it means you lack
Quicktime. The current version, win32-codecs<3.1.0.p8_1,1 is listed as
safe by portaudit and in the Makefile.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)