Port Bloat

Shaun Amott shaun at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 15 11:02:13 PDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 14, 2006 at 10:53:32PM -0700, Peter Thoenen wrote:

> A) Making a delete port pr request.  This way port maintainers INSTEAD
> of marking 'transfer ownership to ports at freebsd.org' and hoping
> somebody takes it over one day could actually just delete ports they no
> longer wish to maintain.  There should be some sort of WARN marking
> mechanism though (valid for X months (maybe 6)) that notifies any new
> user (or current via a portupgrade and EPOCH bumb) that this port is no
> longer maintained and scheduled for deletion unless one of them takes
> over maitainership by DATE.
>
> B) In line with A, has anybody thought about just marking ALL
> ports at freebsd.org as scheduled for deletion on X date.  Thousands of
> people are using these ports, you can't tell me if they were actually
> scheduled to be deleted from the tree at least one of the users
> wouldn't take over maintainership.

A port with no official maintainer is not necessarily unmaintained or
uncared for. On the contrary, many ports assigned to ports at FreeBSD.org
either require no work, or are taken care of collectively by everyone
else. Ports that genuinely are not looked after are scheduled for
deletion.

--
Shaun Amott // PGP: 0x6B387A9A
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin