Incredibly slow mirror site

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Wed Oct 4 07:24:25 PDT 2006

--On Wednesday, October 04, 2006 10:29:33 +0100 Florent Thoumie
<flz at xbsd.org> wrote:

>> The problem i think is that many ports with multiple mirrors will use
>> mirrors from 3rd world countries first, and the mirrors with real
>> bandwidth will always be last on the list. Can anyone explain to me why
>> that is? Doesn't it make more sense to try the fastest one first?
>
> Belgium == Third world? Now that's new :-)

I don't know about that, but that site is unbelieveably slow, and it
appears to be the first choice for all kde downloads.  I'm thinking there
must be something wrong, because kde upgrades have worked fine in the past.

I wonder if there's a way to add code to the ports stuff that checks
download speed and aborts if it's below some configurable number and tries
the next site in the list?

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas