Incredibly slow mirror site

Rainer Alves rainer.alves at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 18:00:49 PDT 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> The problem i think is that many ports with multiple mirrors will use
> mirrors from 3rd world countries first, and the mirrors with real
> bandwidth will always be last on the list. Can anyone explain to me why
> that is? Doesn't it make more sense to try the fastest one first?

Perhaps you should try using MASTER_SORT_REGEX and setting some mirror
priorities... here's a good example (mirrors in my country are given top
priority, followed by *.edu which usually have near infinite
bandwidth... put this in /etc/make.conf):

MASTER_SORT_REGEX?=^file: \
         ://ftp.?\.br\.FreeBSD\.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/local-distfiles/ \
         mesh \
         ://ufpr\.dl\.sourceforge\.net/ \

--
Rainer Alves