Updating packages without a ports tree

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 09:01:49 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool, that can update packages recursively, given only
an FTP URL to a PACAKGESITE repository. That is, it would have to list
the FTP directory, then do some version string matching, to figure out
if a newer port exists. If so, it should remove the old package and
download/install the new package.

Something like portupgrade -PP would be ideal, but it requires a
populated /usr/ports (or INDEX.db??)

I think I'll have to roll my own tool/script for this, but could we
*please* add a new PKGVERSION field to the +CONTENTS file? This could
also help the bsdstats.org project.

Bye,
Ulrich Spoerlein