xorg 7.x and non-standard X11BASE

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 28 11:11:56 PST 2006

Doug Barton wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
>> Doug Barton wrote:
>>
>>> Currently we have 2 locations for files installed by ports. LOCALBASE
>>> (which defaults to /usr/local) and X11BASE (which defaults to
>>> /usr/X11R6). When xorg 7 is imported, it will be installing into
>>> /usr/local.
>>
>> I don't know where you guys read that.
>
> Well, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that was the
> plan?

Well, unless somebody with a hat tells me to do it, I definitely won't :-)

>>> Shortly thereafter the plan is to do away with the X11BASE
>>> stuff altogether, and have all ports install into /usr/local.
>>
>> This should happen before we move X.org to LOCALBASE.
>
> Cool, I wasn't sure about the ordering on that, but one virtue of
> installing xorg 7 into LOCALBASE would be that you don't have to move
> all the current X11BASE ports all at once, since most things would just
> work.

But you end up with real X11 stuff in LOCALBASE and some other stuff in
X11BASE while everything is being moved. This is a bit confusing.

Anyway, we've have X11 in X11BASE for quite a few years now, it can wait
two months before we move it :-)

> For example, when I installed my new laptop I put "X11BASE=/usr/local"
> in /etc/make.conf, and everything worked fine, including a bunch of the
> ports that were broken when kris did his recent /usr/xorg run.

I did the same on all my machine, had only a couple of mtree problems,
otherwise it was just fine.

> In any case, none of this is material to the OP's question. Fixing the
> ports now to install into a non-standard base will make them PREFIX
> clean down the road no matter where PREFIX happens to be. :)

True enough, once we fixed all ports to be PREFIX-clean and
X11BASE-clean, X.org move will just be a matter of removing one line in
bsd.xorg.mk and bumping PORTREVISIONs.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org