how to keep PORTVERSION from going backwards?

Shaun Amott shaun at FreeBSD.org
Wed Nov 15 17:20:06 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 05:25:21PM -0700, Mike Brown wrote:

> How should I handle this?
>
> The software vendor version numbers go like this:
> 1.0b3 (older release)
> 1.0 (current release)
> 1.0.1 (upcoming release)
>
> The port currently has PORTVERSION = 1.0.b3, and has not made use of
> DISTVERSION.
>
> What's a good way to set PORTVERSION (and DISTVERSION, if needed) when I
> update the port to the current and upcoming releases? I don't want the
> PORTVERSION to go backwards. I assume that's what would happen if I set
> it to just match the vendor's version numbers, and I assume that's bad.

In this case, there is nothing special required, if you want to continue
with the versions listed -- just set PORTVERSION. You can verify that
the numbers sort correctly like so:

% pkg_version -t 1.0.b3 1.0
<
% pkg_version -t 1.0 1.0.1