OS-BS replacement

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Nov 15 05:32:59 PST 2006

> In the /tools directory of all FreeBSD distribution there is an old
> program named OS-BS written by Thomas Wolfram. It is a multi-OS boot
> loader for MBR (there are two versions: osbs135.exe and osbsbeta.exe)
> It is rather old, works only under DOS, does not support 1024 cylinders
> boundary limitation, partitions hiding, etc.. Moreover os-bs has been
> evolved into commercial SystemSelector so it is no longer maintained by
> Thomas. However at the time being I continue the development of os-bs
> under the name "mbldr", see:
>
> http://mbldr.sourceforge.net/
>
> It is under BSD license, has many cool features, ported under Linux,
> BSD and Windows, supports extended partitions, etc. I would like to
> suggest replacing os-bs with the mbldr at some point for FreeBSD
> distribution if it is acceptable. Could someone recommend me who I
> should contact (or what mailing list should I use) to discuss this
> opportunity?

I've copied ports at freebsd.org, but I doubt there's any need to discuss
this at length.

I recommend doing the following:
1) Read the FreeBSD Porters Handbook:
   http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
2) Create a port for your program.
3) Submit a PR based on the guidelines in #1, be sure to note in the
   PR that this port supersedes the old os-bs port, so the committer
   can do the right thing.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.