How can I deal with build-time port conflicts?

Stefan Sperling stsp at stsp.in-berlin.de
Sun Nov 12 11:00:40 PST 2006

Hello,

I am updating audio/beast to version 0.7.0.

At first it didn't seem to work, it was segfaulting like crazy when run.
With the friendly help of upstream developers I was able
to track this down to a shared library problem.

The port sets LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" in the environment of the
configure script, because otherwise the configure script fails to
find required libraries, like libmad, for example.

It seems that this causes the beast-0.7.0 binaries to be linked
with beast-0.6.x libraries installed in /usr/local/lib.
Deinstalling beast-0.6.x before compiling 0.7.0 solves the issue,
the application runs just fine. So a clean upgrade requires
the previous version of the port to be removed *before* the new
version is built.

Is there any way I can make sure that the previous version of the port
is not installed while building the new version? I've tried setting
CONFLICTS to beast-[0-6]*, but CONFLICTS is not checked until install
time. I need the check to be performed before anything else.

Or is the rather ugly LDFLAGS hack to blame, i.e. should I try to find
a better way to make configure pick up required libraries?

Thanks,
--
stefan
http://stsp.in-berlin.de                                 PGP Key: 0xF59D25F0