UID/GID dynamic allocation in net/isc-dhcp3-server: why?

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Sun Nov 12 10:36:18 PST 2006

Hello!

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006, Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
>> of [ug]id ranges, and dynamic allocation doesn't keep within this idea
>> (ids of users and daemons get mixed). Is there specific reason why there
>> is no static [ug]id for net/isc-dhcp3-server?
>
> Personally I have it precisely the other way around - I find the
> static allocations rather annoying since they are bound to collide
> with existing UID's at some point.
>
> IMO the optimal solution would be to have some magic which auto
> assigns ports/system UID/GID's from different ranges that normal
> users.

   Well, this (auto-assign from different range, maybe subrange of 100-999)
would also be OK. Now net/isc-dhcp3-server just grabs next [ug]id from _the
same_ range as user ids (in my system, it was uid=1002 and gid=1001). IMHO
this behaviour should be corrected so dhcpd [ug]ids won't mix with user ids.
AFAIK there is no such thing (still) as dynamic allocation from separate
range, so static id allocation is the only viable solution for now.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua