UID/GID dynamic allocation in net/isc-dhcp3-server: why?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 11 12:37:33 PST 2006

On 2006.11.11 21:12:09 +0200, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:

>  I don't like the current behaviour of the net/isc-dhcp3-server port
> of creating 'dhcpd' user and group using dynamic allocation instead of
> having static one (as specified in /usr/ports/{U,G}IDs). I like the idea
> of [ug]id ranges, and dynamic allocation doesn't keep within this idea
> (ids of users and daemons get mixed). Is there specific reason why there
> is no static [ug]id for net/isc-dhcp3-server?

Personally I have it precisely the other way around - I find the
static allocations rather annoying since they are bound to collide
with existing UID's at some point.

IMO the optimal solution would be to have some magic which auto
assigns ports/system UID/GID's from different ranges that normal
users.

That said, I don't care enough to actually work on implementing it,
but just don't think that everybody agrees that static UID/GID
numbering is a good thing.

--
Simon L. Nielsen