Simple Question

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 05:34:47 PST 2006

Robert Huff wrote:

> 	As I understand it, the FreeBSD-supplied defaults for this type
> of variable are set in /etc/defaults/make.conf (which should never
> be edited),

There is no /etc/defaults/make.conf any more -- it was moved to
/usr/share/examples/etc in the 5.x series of releases.

Even in 4.x /etc/defaults/make.conf was not actively read by the make
system.  It was just there as a reference for the admin to consult.
(This is very different from /etc/defaults/rc.conf or
/etc/defaults/periodic.conf or indeed anything else still in
/etc/defaults)

If you like, the default for /etc/make.conf is an empty file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW