Could use some help fixing the pecl-crack port (broken since php 5.2?)

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Wed Nov 8 06:24:48 PST 2006

I'm listed as the maintainer for security/pecl-crack

It was recently brought to my attention that make package fails on this
port, apparently since PHP was upgraded to 5.2:

# make package
===>  Building package for pecl-crack-0.4.1
Creating package /usr/ports/security/pecl-crack/pecl-crack-0.4.1.tbz
Registering depends: php5-5.2.0 apache-2.2.3 libxml2-2.6.26 libiconv-1.9.2_2 perl-5.8.8 expat-2.0.0_1 pkg-config-0.21.
Creating bzip'd tar ball in '/usr/ports/security/pecl-crack/pecl-crack-0.4.1.tbz'
tar: lib/php/20050922/crack.so: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
pkg_create: make_dist: tar command failed with code 256
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/pecl-crack.

Now, crack.so is in /usr/local/lib/php/20060613/crack.so, so it would
appear as if my pkg-plist needs updated.  No worries ...

except I'm a little unclear on the build magic behind PHP.  I'm guessing
that 20060613 is some sort of API date?  If so, is it Ok to be hard-
coding this in to the pkg-plist?  It seems as if this is handled by
bsd.php.mk:

.if ${PHP_VER} == 4
PHP_EXT_DIR=    20020429
.else
PHP_EXT_DIR=    20060613
.endif

Which means hardcoding the path into the pkg-plist will break the port for
PHP 4.  Despite the fact that I don't think many folks are using PHP 4,
I'd rather not do this.

Looking through some other pecl ports, none of them seem to have a pkg-plist.
If I remove the pkg-plist from the port, make package works.  I guess there's
some sort of magic that allows this to work in the absence of a packing
list ... are packing lists even required any more?  Does the porters
handbook need updated?  Are eggs good for you or bad for you?

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient (or the individual responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.