[nycbug-talk] creating "local" ports (fwd)

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 21:14:39 UTC 2006

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> Is there a way to create a "local" category?  ie: /usr/ports/LOCAL

Create /usr/ports/Makefile.local containing:

    SUBDIR+= LOCAL

> -By default cvsup and (I assume portsnap) would nuke anything in
> /usr/ports that was not part of the main ports tree.  How can this be
> dealt with in a way that none of the current/future port update
> methods will not clobber our local tree?

cvsup won't nuke a file that it knows nothing about.  ie. it only nukes
files that have history in CVS.   portsnap I believe is less friendly
to local additions.

A simple method of dealing with this is to keep your LOCAL tree in an
entirely separate filesystem and write yourself a tiny little script
to generate symlinks under /usr/ports.

> -How does one handle packages that depend on say, qmail, but I now
> want to depend on local-qmail?  I know portupgrade can be tought this
> by setting an alternate pkgdep, but is there any clever way of doing
> this so that when you're not using portupgrade the deps are adjusted?

That's a generic problem with ports -- instead of registering a
dependency on the package that provided the file that satisfied the
test specified by the FOO_DEPENDS variable in the port Makefile, the
dependency is registered on the default package to install to resolve
the dependency as shown in the second half of the FOO_DEPENDS line.
As far as I know portupgrade is the only software with the alt-pkgdep
functionality available: it isn't available in the basic ports per-se,
although a number of popular core ports can specify alternate
dependencies where support for doing that has been specifically
written into the various Makefiles involved. No idea if either portmaster
or portmanager have any similar alternate dependency functionality though.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Flat 3
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW