make search (Was Re: Perl5.8.7 ports)

Craig Boston craig at yekse.gank.org
Fri Nov 3 14:46:43 UTC 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 11:05:37PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> >Seems make search doesn't like the following line in my /etc/make.conf
> >
> >PORTSDIR=/compile/ports
> >
> >I thought PORTSDIR was required to be set if your ports were in a
> >nonstandard location, if you wanted everything to work correctly?
>
> I put just about everything in /usr/local (src, obj, ports, etc.) and
> found out long ago that putting symlinks in /usr/ is infinitely easier
> than trying to make it work with custom variables.

I usually do the same, except if I have room I'll create a /compile
partition and symlink src, obj, ports into it.  Got bitten by a crash
during a build before and had parts of /usr get trashed (probably due to
ATA write cache).  I figure having it as physically separate as I can
get it improves the odds slightly.

I added the PORTSDIR variable a while back, I'm not 100% sure why.  I
vaguely recall a problem with a particular port not installing correctly
if /usr/ports was a symlink, but it worked fine if you had PORTSDIR set.
I'm not sure if it happened to me or if I just read about it on the
list, however.

Craig