RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES

Benjamin Lutz benlutz at datacomm.ch
Mon May 29 12:16:18 PDT 2006

Hello,

Still busy with updating Enemy Territory :) I decided to make use of the
MASTER_SITE_IDSOFTWARE variable exclusively now, since I'm getting fed up
with mirrors dying all the time. Now, due to the two files that are needed
being in two different directories, I figured I'd list the variable twice:

MASTER_SITES= ${MASTER_SITE_IDSOFTWARE:S|$|et/linux/|} \
  ${MASTER_SITE_IDSOFTWARE:S|$|et/}

This works, but there's two issues with it:
 - When downloading the file in the second dir, it checks all servers
   with the first dir first. This means at least 12 attempts are needed
   in total.
 - I'm not happy with the order of the servers listed in
   MASTER_SITE_IDSOFTWARE. The first link is to a russian site, which is
   quite slow (plus the link is dead anyway, I assume the .3 is wrong).
   Fast servers being named first would make more sense to me.

Looking for a solution I found RANDOMIZE_MASTER_SITES. This will solve both
problems often: the chance that more than 4 attempts are needed to download
both files is only 25%, assuming all sites work. The chance that the russian
site is hit in the first 4 attempts is 40%. It seems to me that this var is
not intended to be used inside port makefiles, it's probably meant
for /etc/make.conf. I feel that using it for my port would be a win.

So what are the authoritative comments on this?

Btw, speaking of MASTER_SITE_IDSOFTWARE, http://www.idstuff.org/ lists some
more that could be added to the list. Should I file a PR for them, or is
there a special procedure for updating master sites?

Cheers
Benjamin