[FreeBSD-Announce] Volunteers needed to help maintain ports

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Thu May 25 05:12:50 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-May-25 15:39:49 +0400, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
>2) Software with new versions released frequently. The port has no
>maintainer, but still it's updated by `by-passers' regularly, so it's
>at latest version.

One problem with these sort of drive-by updates is that they are
likely to break dependency trees.  One recent example is that
lang/slib was updated to version 3a3 but neither lang/slib-gauche nor
lang/slib-guile were updated - thus breaking both of them.  The other
problem is that the update has probably only been checked on one
platform so whilst the update may compile on other architectures, it
might fail to run and this is less likely to be noticed/fixed.

>3) Ports that actually need a maintainer. This is small percentage of
>currently `unmaintained' ports. I think most of these are in specific
>categories like biology, science, finance.

IMHO, some of the ports in security should be managed by the security
team rather than ports at .

--
Peter Jeremy