setting EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22 forks make infinitely at the port registration step

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 23 13:05:59 PDT 2006

Mark Evenson píše v út 23. 05. 2006 v 22:03 +0200:
> Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> > Mark Evenson píše v út 23. 05. 2006 v 21:01 +0200:
> >
> >> Am I using the EMACS_PORT_NAME variable correctly?  (i.e. its not a
> >> forbidden user knob like USE_XXX)
> >
> > You must never set up any internal variables. This is one of them.
> > You should limit yourself to WITH_*, WITHOUT_*, and the variables
> > explicitly documented in end user documentation.
> >

> Dumb question:  what do you mean by end user documentation?  What the port
> emits to the console in the process of building plus available options
> stored under /var/db/ports?

I mean The Handbook, section Ports and Packages. Also man 7 ports.
And of course the output to the console.

> Andrey Slusar's reply to this thread [[1]] seems to imply that
> EMACS_PORT_NAME *is* a end user option.  But then you have a @freebsd.org
> address and he doesn't…

Andrey Slusar is _the_ guy with the authority about Emacs on FreeBSD.
He probably knows much better than me.

> Without an end-user mechanism like EMACS_PORT_NAME, maintaining all Emacs
> dependent ports for separate versions of Emacs will get combinationally
> explosive.  So ports just supports one canonical version of Emacs (what's
> in editors/emacs) for all Emacs add-ons (like psvn, nxml, etc.)?

Andrey?

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep
the rabbit hole goes....