setting EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22 forks make infinitely at the port registration step

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 23 12:03:33 PDT 2006

Jay Sachs wrote:
>> Number:         37596
>> Category:       ports
>> Synopsis:       EMACS_PORT_NAME=xemacs21 forks make infinitely when installing other ports

When setting EMACS_PORT_NAME=emacs22 (The new Emacs has some nice new
features esp. wrt. Lisp development) on the command line or in
/etc/make.conf, the ports mechanism forks infinitely at the port
registration step. Eventually this forking stops when the recursion
limit is reached, but gosh does it take a long time on a slow machine.
Or even a fast machine for that matter.

This seems to be identical to the symptom that was fixed with
ports/37596, and I don't really understand why it would be returning.
Maybe it is from some other cause?

This is happening on freshly supped ports trees under RELENG_6_1 on
several machines (two new, one quite old that has been nursed along over
the years since 2001), using portupgrade -ras to keep ports in sync with
dependencies.

The recursively invoked make(1)s look like this from a ps:

root     86542  8.4  0.4  1284  1136  p3  S+    8:54PM   0:00.28 make
CHILD_DEPENDS=yes PARENT_CHECKED= package-depends-list

The empty PARENT_CHECKED is suspicious, but when I run manually with a
value, it still forks forever.

Am I using the EMACS_PORT_NAME variable correctly?  (i.e. its not a
forbidden user knob like USE_XXX)

Can I help provide more information?

Should I reopen the bug report or start a new one?

Thanks for the help.