Number of maintainers vs. number of ports

Conor McDermottroe ports at mcdermottroe.com
Tue May 23 12:17:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 09:25:28PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Nevertheless, I'd still like to see more maintaine{rs,d ports}.  We
> now have a nice document about "what it means to be a maintainer", so
> I think we should start doing some outreach to bring new people in.

Perhaps we should encourage users to look at the ports they have
installed that are unmaintained and think about volunteering to maintain
them?

A script similar to the one below may be helpful (apologies in advance
if my shell-fu is weak). When I ran it, it surprised me to see that
ports like lang/ruby18 and misc/compat5x are unmaintained. (Oh, for the
time...)

-C

#!/bin/sh

# Find out the root of the ports tree
if [ -z "${PORTSDIR}" ]; then
	PORTSDIR=/usr/ports
fi

# Find the directories for the ports installed on the system
PORT_DIRS=`pkg_info -qao | sed -e "s|^|${PORTSDIR}/|" | sort`

# Find the maintainer of each port and print out
# its origin if the maintainer is ports@
for _port_dir in ${PORT_DIRS}; do
	_maintainer="`(cd ${_port_dir}; make -f ${_port_dir}/Makefile -V MAINTAINER | tr '[A-Z]' '[a-z]')`"
	if [ "X${_maintainer}X" = "Xports at freebsd.orgX" ]; then
		echo "${_port_dir}" | sed -e "s|^$PORTSDIR/||"
	fi
done