HEADS UP: devel/gnu-libtool is scheduled for removal in less than 2 weeks

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 23 01:03:20 UTC 2006

On Monday, 22 May 2006 at 17:10:37 +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 11:25:03AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> On Friday, 19 May 2006 at 15:26:26 +0300, Vasil Dimov wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> devel/gnu-libtool is scheduled for removal on 1 Jun 2006, which is after
>>> 13 days, but the following ports still depend on it:
>>
>> MySQL AB uses gnu/libtool internally to build MySQL binaries for
>> FreeBSD.
>
> Hmmz, don't they use the databases/mysql* ports?

No.  That's built on top of MySQL's structure.

> Anyway switching to devel/libtool15 should be flawless as the latter
> is now the same as the upstream libtool and does not contain FreeBSD
> specific hacks (at least this is what I heard :).

Yes, I heard that too.  But has anybody confirmed?

>> Potentially so do other external developers.  It would be nice to
>> have confirmation that the replacement works before removing the
>> port.
>
> From the DEPRECATED=devel/libtool15 is now stock and should be used instead
> line in devel/gnu-libtool/Makefile Ade makes it clear that
> "everything should work" (tm). If it does not I guess you contact him
> before 1st of June.

That's not much time for people who may have other priorities.

Greg