Is it safe to compile multiple ports at the same time ?

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu May 18 12:27:43 UTC 2006

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Will this solve (indirectly I presume) the following issue?  If not,
> not a big deal, but thought I'd ask anyways, as it's something I've
> run into a couple of times:
>
> * cd ports/A
> * make
> * ports/A begins building, finds dependancy on ports/X
> * begins building ports/X
>
> Then in another window/screen/whatever:
>
> * cd ports/B
> * make clean
> * ports/B begins cleaning out work/ directories for all dependancies,
>   which includes ports/X
>
> Back to the other window:
>
> * ports/X stops building because you just nuked its work/ directory
> * ports/A breaks due to the above

That's why I set NOCLEANDEPENDS and run portsclean -C from time to time
(actually, I also set 'WRKDIRPREFIX' and usually simply rm -rf
WRKDIRPREFIX, this is *much* faster than 'make clean' anyway).

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
 PGP Key ID: 20FEE9DD				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: AEC9 AF5E 01AC 4EE1 8F70  6CBD E76E 2227 20FE E9DD