Is it safe to compile multiple ports at the same time ?

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Wed May 17 07:39:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 02:54:03PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> I once submitted a patch which checked for this. Now that I've
> learned about lockf(1) I think there is a chance a next one will
> be approved too!

Will this solve (indirectly I presume) the following issue?  If not,
not a big deal, but thought I'd ask anyways, as it's something I've
run into a couple of times:

* cd ports/A
* make
* ports/A begins building, finds dependancy on ports/X
* begins building ports/X

Then in another window/screen/whatever:

* cd ports/B
* make clean
* ports/B begins cleaning out work/ directories for all dependancies,
  which includes ports/X

Back to the other window:

* ports/X stops building because you just nuked its work/ directory
* ports/A breaks due to the above

| Making life hard for others since 1977.               PGP: 4BD6C0CB |