New category - ports/packages specific tools?

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Tue May 16 09:00:44 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 10:03:04AM +0200, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> Vasil Dimov pí¹e v út 16. 05. 2006 v 09:06 +0300:
>
> > P.S. Pav: from the 61 currently existing categories 26 (43%) have less
> > than 100 ports and 9 (15%) are smaller than the suggested one.
>
> I'd be happy to get rid of these small categories, in a greater scheme
> to unclutter the /usr/ports.

I have to somewhat agree. If you look at Gentoo for example (ok, last time
I looked has been a while, maybe the situation has improved), there are far
too many categories with fuzzy names. That makes it hard to find things.

I propose:

1) keep the number of categories rather low, but
2) when discussing a possible new categorie, base this discussion on how
   much the new category can be differntiated from already existing ones.
   As an example, it is sometimes hard to differentiate between net and
   net-mgmt, however I think port-mgmt is a very good naming for a very
   distinct category of ports.
3) still keep a minimum number of ports as a requirement, but make that
   number rather low, say 20 or 30

cheers, Tobias