Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Mon May 15 18:08:11 UTC 2006

On 5/15/06, Steven Hartland <killing at multiplay.co.uk> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
> > On 15/05/06, fbsd <fbsd at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> > Keep the ports tree how it is, as others have said the size is small
> > on modern hard drives and bandwidth trivial, once the initial ports
> > tree is in place keeping it up to date needs very little bandwidth and
> > its only distfiles that tend to be large, but you only download
> > distfiles for ports you install so this is a very good system.  If at
> > least one person uses a port it is justified and I very much like that
> > most tiny apps I search for in the ports tree do indeed exist.  How
> > would you define commonly used ports? we would end up with a
> > favouritism system in place and many arguments about which ports would
> > be included in the commonly used group, you also forget that many
> > ports that may look meaningless from where you sit are necessary as
> > dependants to other ports.
>
> There would be not arguments as stats dont lie. Please read the entire
> thread there are some good ideas in there which would speed up day to day
> use of ports for everyone. Where you get the idea that ports is quick to
> maintain is beyond me it takes a good 30mins to sync up if your a few
> months out of date now a days. 30mins is not much if you have 1 machine
> but add it all up for a large number of machines and its a significant
> amount of time which we all could better spend doing other things instead
> of waiting for a cvsup to complete.

If your doing it this way with a seperate ports repoitory on each
system, then you are doing it the wrong way.

What I do is setup a cron job that uses cvsup to download the cvs
repository either daily or every 3-4 hours.  Then on my build system,
I update both /usr/ports and /usr/src.   Then I NFS export /usr/ports,
/usr/ports/distfiles, /usr/obj, and /usr/src to my other systems.  If
all of the systems are the same (i386), then I buildworld and
buildkernel on the build system and use the result to install on the
other systems.  Same goes for ports, as you could build all the
packages on the build system, then install the packages on the other
systems.

This is much quicker than maintaining seperate /usr/ports and /usr/src
 on each system.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.