Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon May 15 15:48:58 UTC 2006

Steven Hartland wrote:
> Adrian Pavone wrote:
>> Steven Hartland wrote:
>
>> This is why there are options in place that would allow you to
>> download the cvsup to one of you computers, likely a server of some
>> sort, and your other computers all retrieve the CVSup from this local
>> server, significantly speeding up the retrieval time and decreasing
>> the load on the primary servers, a win for everyone. If you have
>> computers of varying architectures or in seperated geographical
>> locations this would not work as worded, but from your wording it
>> sounded like you had a local LAN of computers.
>
> You couldnt be more wrong there even though the cvsup source might
> as well be on the local LAN we have such a quick connection to it.
> The shear volume of files that have to be checked adds a significant
> amount of time to any method to syncing them, from cvsup local rsync
> to tar I've tried them all.

I'm trying to figure out if you're really serious here.

When I do a fresh install, I install ports from the CD I've burned.  The
first thing I do after completing the install is install cvsup.  Then I
cvsup the ports tree *and* src *and* docs.  This usually takes about 15
or 20 minutes.  Then I install portupgrade.  Then I run portupgrade,
which upgrades cvsup.  Then I set up a periodic/daily task that runs
cvsup (cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile).  Then I install portaudit, so I
will know when a security vulnerability shows up in any of the installed
ports.

Then I begin installing whatever ports I need for the purpose of the box.

The daily cvsup usually takes a minute or two.

Where are you getting this "shear volume of files" thing from?

*If* you don't install ports during the initial install, *then* cvsup
will have to download the entire ports collection, which would certainly
take a while, but that would be your choice, rather than a problem with
the system.  *If* you install ports from the CD (or FTP or whatever your
preferred install method is), then the initial cvsup will take a little
while (because there's a lot to update), but after that, a daily cvsup
will refresh your ports without taking very long or consuming very much
bandwidth.  *And* you'll be able to rebuild world any time you want,
because your sources will be up to date.

This seems like common sense to me.  Why would you only cvsup once a
month and then complain about how long it takes?  You *chose* to do it
that way.

--
Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer