Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Mon May 15 09:37:00 UTC 2006

Adrian Pavone wrote:
> Steven Hartland wrote:

> This is why there are options in place that would allow you to
> download the cvsup to one of you computers, likely a server of some
> sort, and your other computers all retrieve the CVSup from this local
> server, significantly speeding up the retrieval time and decreasing
> the load on the primary servers, a win for everyone. If you have
> computers of varying architectures or in seperated geographical
> locations this would not work as worded, but from your wording it
> sounded like you had a local LAN of computers.

You couldnt be more wrong there even though the cvsup source might
as well be on the local LAN we have such a quick connection to it.
The shear volume of files that have to be checked adds a significant
amount of time to any method to syncing them, from cvsup local rsync
to tar I've tried them all.

> Ohh, and for your informations, statistics do lie, that is the point
> of statistical analysis, which I spent 1 1/2 years of my life studying
> before changing into my current Software Engineering/Computer Security
> degree.

Your just being pedantic, you know quite well what was ment.

> And, the arguements would arise from the "common" ports/packages
> directory, a suggestion of fbsd's I believe, whereby common ports that
> would not be built often primarily due to their size, and so wouldn't
> show up in statistics (such as Gnome, KDE, OpenOffice, and a number of
> others), would be placed into a common directory of the ports/packages
> tree, and would be exempt from these statistics. The arguements would
> arise over what should be placed into this "common" directory.

The suggestion was capable of registering either when installed by
ports or packages so a mute point.

> And what about the case of a port that would be built many times over
> its lifetime, mainly due to program version changes? The first one
> that springs to mind would be Firefox. Firefox has had a number of
> version changes in the same space of time that Exim, a very commonly
> used mail server application, has been updated, and assuming an even
> distribution of mail servers and desktop users with firefox, firefox
> would appear to be 10-20 times more active over it's lifetime.

And your point being?

> It is also common for people with a desktop computer to format their
> HDD every 3 months or so, and every time this occured, the desktop PC
> ports (Xorg, Firefox, KDE/XFCE/GNOME, OpenOffice.org, etc.) would get
> a rebuild/redownload, again throwing the stastics out of whack.

No its still being used isnt it which is what we are interested in.