Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Serge Gagnon serge.gagnon at b2b2c.ca
Mon May 15 03:55:01 UTC 2006

If bandwidth and storage is the name of the game, how a new system that
grow dynamically with the needs of the users will help them to just
download the distfiles:

You just want a wm:
% du -hs /usr/ports/distfiles/xorg
 88M	/usr/ports/distfiles/xorg
+ dependency + wm

Sure, you need, at least, firefox to browse the net
+- 33M + dependency (gtk and all)

You LaTex :
% du -hs /usr/ports/distfiles/teTeX/
100M	/usr/ports/distfiles/teTeX/
+ dependency

Want to try one of this desktop:
% du -hs /usr/ports/distfiles/KDE/
389M	/usr/ports/distfiles/KDE/
% du -hs /usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2
197M	/usr/ports/distfiles/gnome2

If money is the problem (can't afford for a disk or better connection), you
could always ask a friend or someone on a list, or a ng, to build you a
package tailored for your needs. I already did that, not building a package
for someone else, but ask someone else to help me.

Regards,
--
GAGNON serge <serge.gagnon at b2b2c.ca>
PGP KEY-ID: 0xBBC1478F