Has the port collection become to large to handle.

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sun May 14 14:48:16 UTC 2006

fbsd writes:

>  Comments have been posted about how to determine in a fair way
>  which ports would be included in the most commonly used category?
>
>  The solution to that concern is pretty easy to do. Modify the
>  master make code to post a count to a special purpose FreeBSD
>  website by passing it a cookie.  Now every time a any user runs
>  the port "make install" that special purpose FreeBSD website will
>  be accessed counting how many times that port is really executed.

	That works fine ... right up until some goober <waves hand> has
to rebuild four times because they didn't understand the options, or
it conflicted with something else, or needed to be reinstalled after
a system crash, etc..
	And even if the technolgy works, I understand the position of
the poster who doesn't want others knowing what is installed.  At
best it would be optional and on an "opt-in" basis; this means
large numbers of people won't ... and there goes confidence in the
rest of the data.

				Robert Huff