Do we need a few more ports reviewers/committers?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Fri May 12 14:59:16 UTC 2006

Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Fri, 12 May 2006 12:53:50 +0200 Frank Steinborn wrote:
>
>> If you *are* the maintainer of the port use [maintainer update],
>> otherwise you should consider sending your patch to the maintainer
>> directly or use at least [change-request].
>>

> The phrase "If you are volunteering to maintain the port, be sure to
> put [maintainer update] at the beginning of your synopsis line and set
> the ``Class'' of your PR to maintainer-update." seems to tell quite
> the opposite.

Note that this is following the context set in the previous paragraph,
which was:  "If the port is unmaintained, and you are actively using it
yourself, please consider volunteering to become its maintainer."  If
you wish to become the maintainer of a port that is being maintained by
nobody, aka ports at freebsd.org, using maintainer-update makes sense.

If the port already has a maintainer, and you're not that person, using
update or change-request seems more appropriate, unless you have
coordinated the hand-off of maintainership already with the former
maintainer and/or portmgr at .  Other people feel that you should not set
the Class to maintainer-update until after the PR which assigns the
maintainership to you has been committed.

--
-Chuck

PS: For example, see http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=96998