lang/gcc-4x and ADA support

Daniel Eischen eischen at vigrid.com
Wed May 10 18:31:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 10 May 2006, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:01:19 -0400 (EDT) Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
>> What are the licenses with the gnat libs in gcc4x?  Are
>> they as restrictive as lang/gnat?
>
> Gnat with gcc4x has GPL like all gcc code. I'm not an expert here but
> it seems that bootstrapping with gnat/gpl may have result in pure GPL
> license. That's why I prefer to have a possibility to bootstrap with
> gnat-3.15p-boot.

Yeah, I don't think that using lang/gnat to build lang/gcc4x with Ada
would produce tainted code.  I think only the lang/gnat libraries
or run-time are GPL tainted.  When you build lang/gcc4x, you won't
end up relying on or including any libraries from lang/gnat.  And if
you use lang/gcc4x to rebuild itself once again, you certainly
shouldn't.

But you still might want to look at the licenses for the GNAT runtime
in gcc4x to make sure the libraries are LPGL or something similar.

--
DE