New version of portmaster available for testing

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 10 05:27:58 UTC 2006

Hans Lambermont wrote:
> Doug Barton wrote:
>
>> I have been following the various discussions and feature requests
>> regarding sysutils/portmaster. I have a new version that I would
>> appreciate testing and feedback on. It has the following changes:
>>
>> 1. Implemented recursive 'make config' at the beginning of the run, so
>> it's easier to leave it running unattended for large updates. (This
>> can be toggled off)
>
> Great, and it works well.

Thanks!

> Here's one more process speedup option :
> Now portmaster is waiting whether to remove an old distfile or not ->
> maybe put these in the end, or in the beginning too like config ?

Because the distfile deletion algorithm is very aggressive, there is a
(good) chance it will accidentally delete a distfile that's needed, so the
only safe place to do this is after we're all done.

>> 3. Added -u to sort(1) calls to try and address a bug report about
>> duplicate lines in +REQUIRED_BY files. I was not able to reproduce
>> this bug, but better safe than sorry. I added some debug code to try
>> and detect this error, please let me know if it comes up for you.
>
> I've seen lots of duplicate lines in +REQUIRED_BY files with earlier
> versions, but not with the 1.58 version so far.

Good news, thanks!

>> 4. Verbose mode is now slightly more informative about what's
>> happening.
>
> Great, but I didn't spot it yet. I think this one is also useful :
>
> Next to showing what to delete like :
>
>     ===>>> Upgrade for libtheora-1.0.a4_1 to libtheora-1.0.a5 succeeded
>     ===>>> Delete libtheora-1.0alpha4.tar.bz2? [n] y
> It would help to also show what is being kept (maybe only do this only
> in verbose mode).

Good suggestion, thanks! I just uploaded a new version that has this added,
as well as fetching distfiles in the background.

The new version is available at http://dougbarton.us/portmaster

> Perhaps explicitly mention here that there was no +REQUIRED_BY file
> found to work with :

I'll think about this one. I'm not sure the average user cares that much
about the internals, but I'll consider it.

> And then, as mentioned in UPDATING/20060506, the lua port upgrade causes
> problems :
>
>     ===>  lua-5.0.2_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
>           lua-5.1
>
> UPDATING/20060506 says to fix this with :
>
>     portupgrade -f -o lang/lua50 lua-5.1
>
> What would be a portmaster equivalent ?

Dunno, what do the -f and -o switches do in portupgrade?

> One more thing. It would be great if portmaster could also be used to
> populate an empty system, ...

Thanks for this suggestion, I'll consider it for a future version.
Personally, I'd solve that problem the same way you did, but I'll wait and
see what others thing.

Thanks again for all your testing and feedback,

Doug