ports structure and improvement suggestions

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue May 9 15:31:15 UTC 2006

On 5/9/06, Brian Reichert <reichert at numachi.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 07:33:11AM -0300, Renato Botelho wrote:
> > On 5/8/06, Sideris Michael <msid at daemons.gr> wrote:
> > >Says who? I know it is not the right way to keep my KNOBS saved, but
> > >nobody prevents me from
> > >defining a knob somewhere in a Makefile. Plus, I used it just to provide
> > >an example of a way
> > >to do port customization.
> >
> > You can use /etc/make.conf to do it:
>
> Isn't this what pkgtools.conf is for?
>
> > # Vpopmail
> > .if ${.CURDIR:N*mail/vpopmail}==""
> > RELAYCLEAR=40
> > WITH_SUID_VCHKPW=yes
> > .endif
>
>   MAKE_ARGS = {
>         'mail/vpopmail' => 'RELAYCLEAR=40 WITH_SUID_VCHKPW=yes',
>   }

The problem with pkgtools.conf (and all the other port management
tools) is that it only works for the port that you are currently
building.  If that port has dependancies, the settings in
pkgtools.conf for the dependancies are not applied to the dependent
port.  Instead you need to build the dependent ports first.

Where as putting the variable into make.conf, will allow the dependent
port to always build with that setting.

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.