Do we need a few more ports reviewers/committers?

Aaron Dalton aaron at freebsd.org
Tue May 9 15:30:25 UTC 2006

Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:

> I know that a number of the people involved in reviewing and committing
> ports are also quite busily involved in other areas of FreeBSD, so if I
> can help in any way to lighten their load and allow them to focus more
> on their other duties, I'd certainly be delighted to do so.

Unfortunately not only are reviewers and committers busily involved in
other areas of FreeBSD, many are *very* busily involved in life.  As a
personal example, just as I had a chunk of time to commit to my ports
list, there was a freeze.  When the freeze lifted, I found myself in the
middle of final exams and papers.  Add to that the fact that new
committers have their submissions reviewed by mentors who also have very
busy lives, it really can take months to get a port processed.

If your port has been "taken", feel free to email the responsible
committer.  Personally, even if I don't always have time to review
ports, I can certainly send a quick reply to an email.

If your port is still languishing in limbo, it's not alone.  New
committers *have* been added of late and hopefully that will help.

My 2cents :)
Cheers!
--
Aaron Dalton