ports structure and improvement suggestions

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 8 21:33:37 UTC 2006

Shaun Amott píše v po 08. 05. 2006 v 22:24 +0100:

That's a good summary.

> Unfortunately, the OPTIONS framework is somewhat limited in its current
> state. One problem is that OPTIONS needs to be defined before including
> bsd.port.pre.mk, but then the processing of WITH(OUT)_* variables has to
> be done afterwards. For example, www/horde has a huge list of knobs, but
> only a handful could be converted to OPTIONS because they set variables
> that need to be defined before bsd.port.pre.mk is included. As a
> sidenote, I submitted a simple patch to "fix" this some time ago, but it
> doesn't appear to have had much interest. :-)
>
> Another issue is that the framework only includes support for simple
> checklists: no submenus, no "radio" controls , etc. There's no
> reasonable way - other than spitting out an error message and asking
> the user to try again - of dealing with mutually exclusive knobs in
> OPTIONS.
>
> There is also no space for detailed descriptions of what knobs do inside
> the OPTIONS dialog. It is often easier to make the user look at the
> Makefile for a description and/or print out a message before installing.

When a set of OPTIONS change between the port versions, user is not
presented with the dialog screen again.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

Pain clots and unformed lice pat this train.