Problem with x11/kdelibs3

pauls at utdallas.edu pauls at utdallas.edu
Sat May 6 04:57:04 UTC 2006

The recent upgrade of kde turned up something interesting.  I couldn't get
kdelibs3 to install, because it depended upon lua5.0, but lua5.1 was
installed and had a large number of dependencies.

pkg_info -R lua*
Information for lua-5.1:

Required by:
kde-3.5.2
kdeaccessibility-3.5.2
kdeadmin-3.5.2
kdeartwork-3.5.2
kdebase-kompmgr-3.5.2
kdeedu-3.5.2
kdegames-3.5.2
kdegraphics-3.5.2
kdegraphics-kuickshow-3.5.2
kdemultimedia-3.5.2
kdemultimedia-mpeglib_artsplug-3.5.2
kdemultimedia-xine_artsplugin-3.5.2
kdenetwork-3.5.2_1
kdepim-3.5.2
kdesdk-3.5.2
kdetoys-3.5.2
kdeutils-3.5.2
kdevelop-3.3.2
kdewebdev-3.5.2,2
koffice-1.5.0,1

The x11/kdelibs3 port was recently patched to change the dependency to
lua5.0.
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/x11/kdelibs3/Makefile?rev=1.196&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>

The only way I could get it to install was to delete the dependency from
the Makefile, because lua5.0 conflicts with lua5.1, and lua5.1 is required
for so many other of the kde parts.

This seems rather strange, since even the kdelibs3 port *was* dependent
upon lua5.1 *before* the upgrade.  (As you can see, lua is no longer a
dependency, because I had to break the dependency to get the install to
complete.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas