X.Org 7.0 port?

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri May 5 18:14:37 UTC 2006

п'ятниця 05 травень 2006 13:55, Kris Kennaway написав:
> Sorry, but "I suggest those other people pull their finger out and
> work harder on my problems" isn't a viable solution.

Kris, I only spoke, when it emerged, that the X11 team is working on porting
7.0, which has no functional improvements over the already ported 6.9. So
much so, it was first (rather angrily) suggested to an innocent user,
that "no one in their right mind" would work on 7.0...

Only then did I lament the sorry state of the X11 *support* -- with most
questions sent to x11@ simply unanswered. I did not name Eric until Mark L.
explicitly solicited my opinion with his question, that I underlined for you
in the previous e-mail.

It seems, that *any* answer to Mark's question would leave me open to a
misguided "fix it yourself and shut up" attack like yours.

Of all people, *you*, who sends ports failure notifications to hundreds of
ports maintainers, should know better -- when X-server fails to start or
hangs the user's machine, it is the port's failure no different (although
harder to fix), than any ported program misbehaving.

	-mi