FreeBSD Port: isc-dhcp3-client-3.0.3_1

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri May 5 16:23:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 07:43:45AM -0400, fbsd wrote:
> Dear port maintainer Joerq:
>
> I installed the isc-dhcp-client pkg on my FreeBSD 6.0 system.
> I have this in my rc.conf
>
> dhcp_program="/usr/local/sbin/dhclient"
> dhcp_flags="-q"
> ifconfig_dc0="DHCP"
>
> I get these error messages over and over on boot.
> Have to reboot in single user mode to edit rc.conf to stop
> message by commenting out the ifconfig_dc0="DHCP" statement.
>
>  Can't bind to dhcp address: Address already in use
>  Please make sure there is no other dhcp server
>  running and that there's no entry for dhcp or
>  bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.   Also make sure you
>  are not running HP JetAdmin software, which
>  includes a bootp server.
>
> I have no other dhcp server running and there's no entry for dhcp or
>  bootp in /etc/inetd.conf.
>
> Is there something else that has to be configured to get this to
> work?

I suspect that the debouncing code in /etc/rc.d/dhclient doesn't work
with the ISC client and the way your NIC is operating is causing
repeated bouncing of the interface leading to devd starting dhclient
over and over again.  You might try commenting out the dhclient
entries in devd.  They don't really fix the ISC client's model.

> Was using the built in dhclient but it does not seen to be
> functioning correctly since 4.11.
>
> 5.0 changed the  /etc/rd.c boot process.
> The dhclient-script in completely different between the base
> dhclient version and the port version. Neither script version
> uses the "recorder" statements to control the timing during
> the boot process when they get executed like the other
> services in /etc/rc.d do.
>
> The isc-dhcp-server port/pkg is working fine.
>

> The base dhclient works ok as long as one does not use any of the
> hooks.
> Dhclient-exit-hooks is not executing "if" logic or the logger
> command.
> It exhibits all the signs of being executed to early in the boot
> process.
> Trying to use the ports version with no joy.
>
> Review the question list for thread on this subject for more
> details.

Please provide a link or better yet submit a detailed PR.

-- Brooks