portmanager install from packages (please)

Joel Hatton freebsd-questions at auscert.org.au
Fri May 5 14:17:11 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've lately been using portmanager on my build host, instead of
portupgrade, to rebuild ports and produce packages and I'm impressed. But
now I want more...

It seems to me that one of the greatest benefits of portmanager is that
it is a compiled executable, and thus doesn't rely on Ruby.  In our
environment, where ports are built on one machine and then installed from
packages on others, it would make a lot of sense if I didn't have to
install Ruby just so that I can run portupgrade.  All I really want to do
is put the new packages on the machine and upgrade from those, using a
single binary that doesn't require extra support. But, brilliant though
it is, I can't do this with portmanager.

Now, it occurs to me that I could just do something as simple as run
pkg_delete/pkg_add against the most recently available packages, but I'm
sure I'd risk breaking something on a critical host. Extending portmanager
to perform this function seems logical.

cheers,
-- Joel Hatton --
Infrastructure Manager              | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert at auscert.org.au