After the upgrade to gnome 2.14 the epiphany browser will not run under kde.

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Fri May 5 12:18:20 UTC 2006

Quoting michael johnson <buhnux at gmail.com>:

> On 5/5/06, eculp at encontacto.net <eculp at encontacto.net> wrote:
>>
>> After the upgrade to 2.14, the Epiphany web browser no longer wants to
>> run with kde.  It generates the following error:
>>
>> Startup failed because of the following error:
>> Unable to determine the address of the message bus
>

> You need dbus running. I'm going to copy and paste
> the old faq since we removed it since gnome-session
> starts dbus session.
>
> *How do I use D-BUS from within the GNOME Desktop?*
>
> If you ever start up an application and see the following error:
>
> WARNING **: Service registration failed.
>
> WARNING **: Unable to determine the address of the message bus
>
> It means the application wants to use
> D-BUS<http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fdbus>.
> D-BUS is a message bus system which allows for applications to communicate
> with one another. Many applications such as Evince, Epiphany, Evolution, and
> Liferea are starting to make use of D-BUS's services.
>
> In order for applications to communicate with D-BUS, the system message
> daemon must first be started. To do this, add the following to /etc/rc.conf:
>
> dbus_enable="YES"

Thanks, Michael.  Unfortunately, a dbus daemon is running.  I'm not
totally sure that it is the right one but . . . # ps -ax|grep dbus
53278  ??  Ss     0:00.00 /usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system
53803  p1  R+     0:00.00 grep dbus

this is the version from ports/devel/dbus and epiphany still refuses to
start.  I haven't shutdown and restarted the machine but will give it a
try as soon as I can although I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

Thanks again.  Have a great day,

ed