Upgrade Tool

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu May 4 19:49:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:41:22PM -0400, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 12:23:08PM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
>
> > > Do all combinations really need packages?  With or without flavours
> > > you wouldn't even think about building packages for all possible
> > > combinations of build options for a port.
> >
> > All combinations don't need packages, but I'd like an easy way to build
> > as many as half a dozen versions on the same machine so users can use
> > the compiler and MPI version of their choice.  At this point the easiest
> > way to handle that would be to build non-conflicting slave ports for the
> > combinations I wanted but that starts to waste a lot of inodes pretty
> > fast.
>
> A few extra ports don't hurt, really - it's a minor perturbation on
> the steady growth of the ports tree.  From my point of view, it's a
> good feature of the slave port approach that it makes the developer
> think a bit about what combinations are really needed as separate
> packages (since they have to do a small bit of work to set up each
> one).  Anyone adding n! slave ports is going to quickly get noticed
> and smacked :-)

Certainly a valid point, especialy since ATLAS is on of those MPI ports.
:-)

> > Another option that could work for me would be to make it easier to
> > maintain a local ports category so I could have my own slave ports.
>
> You should be able to do that by just appending to SUBDIR and
> CATEGORIES in a Makefile.local or similar.  It's been discussed
> recently, anyway.

I've messed with it a bit.  The biggest issue I've found is that I
couldn't find an easy way to add a few leaf ports to the INDEX file
without doing a full rebuild.

> Or since this is for your own use you could just have one port and
> write a trivial script that repeatedly packages it with your own set
> of option combinations.

That's also an option.  Sometimes I just need to overcome my urge to
find a general solution and use a quick hack that works.  The reality is
that this MPI stuff is an edge case that doesn't matter to most people.

-- Brooks