Upgrade Tool

Scot Hetzel swhetzel at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:57:42 UTC 2006

> On the subject of which, does anyone know if there is any convention for the
> pre-built FreeBSD packages? i.e. Are they built extremely conservatively,
> with all optional bits switched off, or aggressively, i.e. all optional bits
> on? Or is it "default", i.e. most commonly wanted options on, more obscure
> off; or finally, just purely random, down to whatever the person who built
> the package happened to choose at the time depending on their mood?

The default options are usually what ever the Port Maintainer decides
are to be the default.  Over time, the user community requests that a
certain option be either enabled or disabled by default.

There are also some ports that when a certain variable is set during a
package run, that it overrides the ports default options, and uses
different options for package building (I'm guessing so that the port
is more compatible with other ports).

Scot
--
DISCLAIMER:
No electrons were mamed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.