HEADS UP: GNOME 2.14 being merged into the tree

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Mon May 1 19:32:09 UTC 2006

В пн, 01/05/2006 в 12:20 -0400, Joe Marcus Clarke пишет:

> > > We're working on a fix. Either we will disable mDNSResponder in avahi
> >
> > Yes, please.
> >
> > > or hopefully kde@ will want to use avahi's mDNSResponder.
> >
> > This wouldn't help the people running into the CONFLICTS right now (the
> > dependencies are already registered in people's pkgdbs when they do,
> > changing the kdelibs port won't fix that). We can try to make that work
> > later.
> >
> > Also ... seriously, do you guys even check just what is depending on the
> > things you're setting CONFLICTS with? I really was not expecting to see
> > anybody pull a fam->gamin again so soon.
>
> We tested this change as we do all GNOME development versions.  In the
> past, GNOME/KDE conflicts were quickly brought to light by our testers.
> It seems that this time around, we did not have anyone trying GNOME 2.14
> with KDE on the same machine.  I was rather shocked myself to learn
> about this and the xpdf/poppler conflict so late.

Both problems was reported before here:

                              From:
Vladimir Grebenschikov
<vova at fbsd.ru>
                            Sender:
vova at fbsd.ru
                                To:
Jeremy Messenger <mezz7 at cox.net>
                                Cc:
Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net>,
freebsd-gnome at freebsd.org
Re: Suggested mod for
gnome_upgradeXXX.sh
                              Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:50:23 +0300

В вс, 19/03/2006 в 11:36 -0600, Jeremy Messenger пишет:
> We will be no longer need gnome_upgradeXXX.sh in the future version
of
> GNOME. Bless to the ltverhack that fix libtool bug. Upgrade GNOME 2.12
> 2.14 (still in MC) was a lot easier than any previous version, which
it
> can be done with portupgrade now. About four to five steps to do it.
> Here's what I did with GNOME 2.12 to 2.14:
>
>       pkgdb -Ff (need for gst stuff)
>       portupgrade -f -o net/avahi howl-\*
>       portupgrade -a
>       portupgrade -f -o x11/gnome-screensaver xscreensaver-gnome-\*
>
> The steps might be change if there is any better. Like might be best
> follow UPDATING before do the portupgrade -a.

First of all thanks for good work.

Unfortunately, I've do this upgrade before above suggestion, so I was
forced to find the solution with howl -> avahi by myself.

Also there is one more conflict of this kind:
evinice requires poppler, but poppler conflicts with already installed
xpdf:
===>  Installing for poppler-0.5.1

===>  poppler-0.5.1 conflicts with installed package(s):
      xpdf-3.01_2

      They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/poppler.
*** Error code 1

Anyway, I get several problems after installation:

most important - some applications stops work due to glib/libthread
problem:
% gnome-ssh-askpass2
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0: Undefined
symbol "pthread_getschedparam"
%  nm -a /usr/local/lib/libgthread-2.0.so.0 | fgrep
"pthread_getschedparam"
         U pthread_getschedparam
%
 but it can be fixed by forced libc_r load:
% env LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc_r.so gnome-ssh-askpass2
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
%

Same library problem with gqview application.

Another problem is constantly dieing gnome-panel after execution
gnome-session-save.
Restarting gnome session (with killing X) helps.

Third problem is GDM, if I choose themed local login it just crashed.
Starting /usr/X11R6/libexec/gdmlogin manually it shows:

The greeter version (2.14.0) does not match the daemon version.  You
have probably just upgraded GDM.  Please restart the GDM daemon or the
computer.

gdm was upgraded successfully.

There are also minor glitches, like lost session configuration or clock
applet style after upgrade.

> Cheers,
> Mezz
>
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 10:16:16 -0600, Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > During STAGE 2 you are portupgrading all of the external
dependencies.
> > The
> > problem I have is sometimes some of what it wants to upgrade are
things
> > that either aren't as simple as a "portupgrade" (perl for example)
or

--
Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
vova at fbsd.ru